Vancouver is famous for its rain and damp conditions making roofing structures vulnerable to water pooling and buildup of mold and mildew. Regardless of the type of material used, the roof’s worst enemy is water.
If you’re about to replace the roof on your Vancouver home, then you should first learn of the best roofing options that will keep your family safe and protected from the typically harsh weather conditions all year. There are many types to choose and the best usually depends on your particular circumstance.
However, Robinson Roofing recommends these types of roofing materials for you to consider.
1 – Asphalt Roofing Shingles
Vancouver roofing contractors recommend asphalt shingles because they are an affordable option. They’re also readily available and can last about two decades with proper maintenance.
- Durable and resilient against harsh weather on the west coast like Vancouver
- Replacement of individual shingles is easy for Vancouverites who love DIY
- Reasonably priced material and equally affordable installation for those who don’t intend to spend thousands of dollars on a new roof
- Porous material encourages plant and moss growth
- Damaged shingles quickly lead to roof leaks
2 – Metal Roofing
The most significant advantage of metal roofs is that it can last up to 50 years. Vancouver roofing needs to be as resilient as possible, which means a metal roof is ideal for the weather. Unlike other roofing types in this list, the metal roof does not require a ton of maintenance.
- You are less likely to replace the roof on your Vancouver home in your lifetime
- Minimal maintenance when the job is done right, meaning you don’t spend a lot of money hiring contractors for repair jobs
- Metal roofs can withstand extreme weather and snow in Vancouver
- Heat reflectivity
- 100% recyclable
- Can cause a lot of problems if not installed correctly
- Complicated installation of a metal roof requires an experienced roofer
- Metal roofs cost more than the majority of other roofing types
3 – Cedar
Cedar roofs are made from logs cut and split into shingles. Cedar was the default roofing material in Vancouver due to the aesthetic appeal and availability of high-quality Old Growth cedar.
Today’s logging restrictions and international supply and demand have lead to cost increases for cedar shingles that make them an impractical choice when considering longevity per dollar in cost.
- Traditional, elegant look
- Cam be long-lasting when the right wood is selected
- Prohibitive cost per-year-of-service
- Because of low-quality wood marketed as a high-quality product
- Higher fire risk than other types of materials
4 – Synthetic Roof
A synthetic roof is designed and manufactured to emulate a slate, tile, wood or metal roofing system. When it comes to aesthetic quality, it looks just like original slate, and the untrained eye will never see the difference. It is one of the best roofing options for residential and commercial buildings in Vancouver, and the reason why it is popular is because of its practical value.
- Synthetic slate roofs cost less than the authentic material
- The lightweight property of the synthetic roofing material does not require reinforcements
- Depending on what look you are going for (slate, tile, wood or metal), it may look like the real thing, but it generally does not last as long.
- Synthetic slate possesses lesser value compared to other roofing materials in this list
Do not wait for your roof to fail you. Do the right thing by hiring an experienced roofing contractor to inspect, fix, replace, or install a new roof. Robinson Roofing is here to solve whatever roofing problem you are facing right now. Our commitment is to help you choose the best roofing option based on your circumstance and specific needs.